This notice describes how Bear Press (“we”, “us”) collect and use data about customers and authors (“you”).
How we may collect data about you
We may collect personal data about you when you:
- make a purchase (e.g. by a book from us).
- use our services (e.g. submit a manuscript for evaluation).
Information we hold about you
We may include the following personal data:
- Your name and address.
- Your contact details (e.g. phone, email).
- Details of any communication we have sent to you or received from you.
- Details of any transactions (e.g. purchases) you have made.
- Details of any contracts (e.g. as an author) you have entered into with us.
How we use your data
We only use your data in order to fulfil our contract with you and to comply with any legal obligations. For example:
- If you purchase goods (e.g. books) from us, we will use your personal data to send you the goods, and to communicate with you about the progress of the transaction and shipment.
- If you specifically request it, we may add you to a mailing list for news and marketing information. You may opt out of this list at any time.
If you enter into a publishing contract with us, we will use your information to communicate with you during and after the publishing process, in order to fulfil our contractual obligations to you. For example:
- Information such as author name (or pseudonym) and author biography appears on copies of the published work.
- Similar information is provided to third party cataloguing systems and may be sent worldwide including outside of the EEA.
- We are required to send copies the published work to certain libraries (e.g. the British Library).
- Obviously we can not control how this data is used once the book leaves our hands.
- However, the personal author data published in books and catalogues is of a limited nature (usually name and biography) and you are entitled to publish under a pseudonym to further protect your privacy.
Keeping your data safe
We take reasonable precautions to prevent your personal data from being accessed by unauthorised persons.
Access to your data
Please contact us to provide us with any updates to your personal data. The law gives you rights in certain circumstances in respect of the data we hold for you e.g:
- Requesting a copy of the data we hold about you.
- Requesting correction to that data.
- Requesting that we delete data that we have no good reason to hold.
You can contact us via the contact us
page on our website.
You can also contact the Information Commissioner if you have any concerns at: http://ico.org.uk
Last Update: 25/May/2018